…tried these toppings on your bread or toast?
This is my lunch: two slices of wholewheat bread with two interesting toppings. The first slice is covered in mashed up avocado pear and sprinkled with salt. Avo is one of my all-time favourites: I enjoy it plain (it complements curries quite nicely), salted (as described above) or mashed into a zesty dessert with sugar and lemon juice. Yum!
The second slice of bread is topped with cheddar cheese and celery sticks. It’s a delicious combo that my mom introduced to our plates when I was young. Somehow the tangy cheddar and crunchy celery work really well together.
Since my mom has been baking her own bread for decades, our family ate a lot of bread – which of course led to lots of experimenting with different toppings. Here’s a list of a few of the most creative ones I’ve tried over the years. (Warning: not all are healthy, and some are an acquired taste!)
- Thinly spread mayonnaise sprinkled with mixed herbs
- Chutney and cheese
- Banana and cheese
- Marmite (a salty yeast spread) and cheese
- Apricot jam and cheese (yes, I really like cheese!)
- Chutney and lettuce
- Fruit mince (it’s especially amazing on crispy toast)
- Cottage cheese and bell peppers
- Strawberry jam and cream
- Sardines with lemon juice
- Honey (best on toast)
- Cottage cheese and cucumber
- Pastrami and gherkins
- Grated apple and spices (on toast, baked in the oven)
Have you ever tried any of those? What’s your favourite topping for bread or toast?