This will just be a quick post because it’s been a busy weekend and I have tons of tasks to catch up on.
When I first made my own pickled beetroot, I didn’t properly record the process. So here are some pics from last night, when I made a new batch of beets:
Of course, I had fun peeling them and got bright pink fingers again
One plate of whole beets turned into two plates of sliced beets…
As mentioned previously, the last batch was a bit too vinegary for my liking. This time I doubled the whole recipe but substituted lemon juice for half the vinegar. Will see if that tones down the tang.
Mmmm, spices add such pizzazz to cooking 🙂
I bought myself two of these Consol jars with clever blackboard-paint labels. It’s easy to chalk up your notes and wash them off for the next time. Also great if you’re using the jars as gifts…
PS – I reserved some of the water used for cooking the beets and added a little sugar and a dash of lemon juice to it. Once it had cooled, I drank half a glass of that mixed with half a glass of red grape juice. It tastes unusual but not unpleasant… and I’m hoping that that way I’ve salvaged some of the nutrients, which often get lost in the cooking water 😎