Yesterday I found (and adapted) another great recipe from the internet, because I was searching for something to bake that didn’t require eggs. When I came across this recipe for too-good-to-be-true cupcakes, I had to give it a go. I’d never baked with custard powder before, but the results were delicious (no pics, I’m afraid … the cake didn’t last long enough!). The original recipe is for cupcakes, but I first tried it out as a full cake.
1 1/2 C self-raising flour
1/3 C custard powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 C castor sugar
1 C water
1/3 C oil
1 T lemon juice
1 1/2 t vanilla essence
1. Sift dry ingredients.
2. In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients.
3. Combine all and beat (preferably with an electric beater) until smooth.
4. Pour into muffin tins or cake tin.
5. Bake at 180 °C for 25 minutes (cupcakes) or 40–50 min (full cake), until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
1. Grease the cake tin, line it with wax paper, and grease it again to make sure your cake doesn’t come apart when you remove the wax paper.
2. I sprinkled large-granuled white sugar on top of the cake just before baking. This turned into a crispy, sweet crust, and removed the need for 1 full cup of sugar in the recipe and for icing afterward.
3. This cake mix doesn’t brown in the oven, so you’ll need to test it with a skewer to determine when it’s baked through.
4. This was my first foray into egg-free, dairy-free baking – but it definitely won’t be the last!